View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I also would like if collections and series could be handled on Calibre.

Honestly, I don't use either much on my Kobo. But a little OCD part of myself is frustrated to know the Nook can handle series, but it isn't available for sideloaded books as the database isn't accessible by Calibre.

I wouldn't mind more font sizes. I wouldn't mind if Nook wholesale stole Kobo's TypeGenius engine. But Kobo is also known for not rendering fonts so well with their preferred format. And I have never heard a claim that ePubs on a Kobo have superior font rendering to a Nook.

But text layout on my Nooks is way better than it is on my Kobo (using kepubs, I haven't used ePubs on Kobo). Layout is also better than what I remember seeing on Kindles.

I'm sure the text layout has more to do with Adobe than some Barnes and Noble magic, but you can't fault layout on a Nook.

And the screen of the Glowlight 3 is superior to my Clara, so text contrast is better there too. My older Glowlight Plus nad my Clara have screens of about the same quality.
I think I expressed myself badly. I'm not a typography nut; by being fussy about fonts and layout I meant being able to use a specific sideloaded font and customize things like losing header and footer. Those things you can do even on a Kindle, but not on a Nook.

The thing about contrast is that without full refresh every page the contrast deteriorates quickly (on any ereader). I guess most people don't notice it, but I do and it bothers me. I compared my Nook to my Sage, for example. Right after full refresh on the Nook the difference in contrast wasn't that significant; a couple of pages in and the contrast on the Nook was considerably poorer than on the Sage (which is set to refresh every page). I just can't not see this.

I realize all this sounds like nitpicking. As I said, I have a specific set of preferences and without being able to use several of my preferences on the Nook, I feel constant frustration every time I read on the Nook. Low-key frustration, but still. At first I thought I would get over it, but I didn't. It's like a minor toothache.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote