View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 03:27 AM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't have (or want) an 8" Nook Glowlight, but the weight of the Glowlight 3 is well balanced, in my opinion. It's easy to hold. Speed is not an issue for me with the GL 3. I've heard this complaint before, but I haven't really noticed it. I would like custom fonts — though that wouldn't be an innovation — but I am getting used to the Georgia font in "thick" mode. And I definitely do wish there were more font sizes in the range where most people read. But not really an innovation just a "fix" in my mind.

I'm not sure why a 6.8" reader should weigh less than a 7.8" reader. But I know almost nothing about the 7.8" Glowlight Plus. Just that it's too big to capture my interest. But I do like that both current Glowlights with two sets of page turn buttons. I don't customize. I used to do that with the Kobos, but I got tired of tinkering with my eReader. Besides, the main reasons I tinkered was because of issues Kobo has (mostly) fixed on their own now. My Glowlight 3 works fine with Calibre. And I do like the buttons on both sides of the screen and the traditional shape. (I hope the Glowlight 4 doesn't screw this up.)

But most of all, the screen is the star of the Nook Glowlight 3 show. Just a better warm light than any other I've seen. And the screen is the most important to me. (I also hope they don't screw up with the Glowlight 4.)

Not running down the Kobos. The Clara HD is very nice and evenly lit — I just wish its color tones matched the Glowlight 3's.
By "work with Calibre" I meant things like automatic series and collection management, and updating metadata without having to send the book over again. Nooks don't do that. Neither do Kindles, of course.

Unlike you and I guess Zod, I'm very fussy about fonts, font sizes, font weight, text contrast, text layout and so on. That's why I'll never be satisfied with a Nook as it is now. I don't tinker constantly with my Kobos or Kindles; I have a definite set of preferences and once I've set things up as I like them I rarely touch the settings again. The problem is that I can't really set things up as I like on my Nook and so feel constantly somewhat dissatisfied and frustrated when using it.

As to weight, yep, the 7.8'' Nook is heavy. It's quite a lot heavier than the 8'' Sage, to say nothing of the Forma and the Libra. That's not good ergonomics by any yardstick.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote