View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
You can possibly fix it in Calibre. But this means you must first strip the DRM from the book - a questionable thing to do for a library book.

I encountered this problem once for a book I purchased from Amazon. I can't remember the name to the book, it was quite a while back. A little Google'ing on "can't change font on Kindle" turned up the answer on how to fix it with Calibre:

Quote:
I bought another couple of kindle books from Amazon, both of them have the same behaviour - text in Helvetica font which can't be changed.

So I finally had enough of this. I got to try to fix this.

Thankfully, the fix with Calibre is very easy (as long as you are ready to strip the DRM (if any), which you probably should anyway).

So if you bought from Amazon a book for your KIndle Paperwhite that is shown in Helvetica (sans-serif) font and you can't change the font using Font Dialog, do following:

a) (this needs to be done only once) configure Calibre to remove 'font-family' style element during conversion: in Calubre, go "Preferences" --> "Convertion - Common Options" --> select "Look & Feel" --> select tab at the bottom "FIlter Style Information" --> check "Fonts"

b) import the book into Calibre fron the Paperwhite device (make sure you have Aprentice Alf's plugin installed and configured for your device, otherwise Calibre will not be able to convert the book)

c) convert book to MOBI (even if it is already in MOBI format). May be you could convert to AZW3 too, I didi not try this - in any case, do convertion by Calibre. If asked Calibre to strip font styles (see step a), Calibre will strip hardcoded font styles and you will be able to change fonts using Font Dialog on the device.

d) send book back into the device

Note that if you did any conversion of this book in Calibre before, Calibre will store convertion options specifically for this book and will not use default options that we set up in step a) for this book any more. In this case you will need to make sure that "Fiter Style Information" --> "Fonts" is checked in this book convertion dialog.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote