View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 01:53 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
When I first started reading ebooks was in 2005 I think. I had a PDA with Pocket PC and Microsoft Reader. I bought books from lots of places including Amazon in LIT format. It seemed easier then. I still had to download to my PC and copy to the device. It's funny, but when Amazon switched to Kindle, my LIT format books disappeared. The orders don't even appear in my order history. My emails went unanswered. That is when I learned the value of liberating my ebooks.
For me, that liberation moment was when Microsoft announced they were turning off their servers that managed DRM for their .LIT format. Thankfully, ConvertLIT allowed me to remove DRM from all but 2 of my .LIT format ebooks prior to the shutdown. Oddly, the only publisher that allowed me to download replacement ebooks in a different format without payment was Baen who do not use DRM though one publisher did offer me the chance to re-purchase their books for 33% off.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-27-2024 at 09:14 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote