View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 09:56 AM   #17
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, any PDF reflow is an option, never a default and often useless.

The whole point of PDF is an exact view of what the print will look like, hence a physical page size and typically it may use any mix of raster, vector, text with fonts and postscript programming. A scanned image is not as portable. But you need a big enough screen.

It can only be done by epub if it's not really a traditional epub, but the variation of epub3 that actually mimics a PDF.

What resolution will the scanned image use??
I know what the ideal of PDF is. In practice, not every PDF viewer will render a given PDF page identically to the commercially printed page. I have a number of role-playing game rulebooks in print and PDF form, and Acrobat Reader makes occasional mistakes compared to the printed pages. Thus my assertion that the only way to guarantee the ebook precisely retains the printed page layout is to use a raster image of that printed page. Resolution of the scan and of the display largely is orthognoal to this: the scan or the screen could be the size of a postage stamp, or smaller, and still retain the desired page layout. Such a small scan would be illegible to a human reader so on that point I agree: the higher the resolution of the scan, the higher the resolution of the display, and the size of the display are all relevant to the human trying to read the book. But they are not relevant to the book itself.

Standard ePub can encapsulate raster image pages.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote