View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 11:36 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can't use Kaleido 3 indoors (normal ambient lighting) without LED front-light on.

Quote:
I still think comparisons should be made between similar devices: tablets with tablets and e-readers with e-readers.
Well, that's an opinion. I'd not be using eink for reading novels if I did that. It's because of comparison between different devices that I prefer reading novels on a 8″ Sage.

Choice is good. Feel free to choose colour eink. However so far all the official marketing of it has been less than honest. Also comparisons are usually with shiny surface tablets set too bright.

Also if there was a good enough colour eink, I'd still have two reading devices, one at 7" to 8" and one at 10" to 14".
Even the 300 dpi 8" is too small for PDFs and scanned books. Even a 10.1″ is too large to comfortably read a novel. I'd use 6″ if 7 or 8 wasn't available.

The reason for many of the Kaleido 3 ereaders is niche companies trying to improve their niche. There are actually very few companies with colour eink and unless Kobo or Amazon join in, they have a tiny share of the mono market, never mind the very niche colour reader, where the main use case is comics. The colour, saturation, contrast and sharpness is too poor for mainstream mono or colour use.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-21-2024 at 11:41 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote