View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I don't think it's possible at all to significantly take notes on the PB360. It isn't like a cell phone with 9 keys to use -- it has a virtual keyboard and you have to use *one* key to scroll around it and select each letter individually. It is cleverly done in that you set where on the keyboard the cursor appears by what part of the rocker you push, but just is not meant for serious note taking.

I believe the newest Pocketbook models (601 and 602) scheduled for release later this your have touch screens you use with a stylus that you could take notes on. And as previously mentioned, the Neo/Boox have had great reviews and have a stylus and touch-screen for note taking.

I loved my 600 and then my 900 when I had them, but after using the PB360 I could never go back. The screen is clearer, FBreader is totally awesome to display epubs where ADE sucks, and the level of customization is unbelievable. If the upcoming PB 601/602 are in the same class as the 360, they'll be amazing devices.

But, as you said, you probably should post in "What should I buy?" to get more responses from people who have actually owned the items.

And yes, you'll pry my PB360 out of my cold, dead hands and not a moment sooner.

That being said, I do have my old 600 that I am willing to part with cheaply. It has a small chip in the screen near the top. It has never bothered me when reading and is about the size of a period on the screen. The pictures below show the reader and the chip. I have the original box, along with the soft case it came with to hold it in, and the usb cable to connect it to the computer. I also have the custom lighted case from Sony, but one of the holders on the end snapped so something would have to be juryrigged to hold it in.

The close-up picture on the bottom shows the chip, which is over the "o" in the word down. It really isn't that noticeable in real-life reading, the extra glare from the flash really exaggerated it. You can also see it on the top picture. The speck above the w in "forward" about 2/3 of the way down the page was just dust.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote