View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 09:51 AM   #25
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes.
Most filesystems have one OS that is responsible for the sanity of its data.
UMS just lends the entire raw data to any vagrant OS that thinks it understands it.

The solution is anything that says, "this file system is mine, I'm responsible for it, if you want a file, just ask."

Like ADB, FTP, heck, even MTP is better.
I've not seen any devices use MTP in years, but it was a horrible disaster, I don't see how you could advocate for that as being better.

For the use case of putting books on an ereader, music on a music player, or photos on a digital photo frame (do those even exist anymore?), mounting the filesystem and copying the files seems perfectly reasonable to me, anything more complex than that requires complex standards that cannot keep up with changes to file formats and device capabilities.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote