View Single Post
Old 04-30-2024, 03:49 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
For everything else, I prefer a tablet or a phone for reading. The text is MUCH sharper than eInk. The screen response is instant. I can and do have color backgrounds and text to make the reading even more comfortable.
Interesting since my iPad Pro is a 264DPI screen compared to my 300DPI eInk devices. My iPhone has a 460DPI screen but comparing it's screen width to a Kobo Sage, to fit the same amount of text on the screen, the text is a lot smaller. The device I have that would be the closest match to my Sage would be my Lenovo M8 FHD with a 283DPI screen resolution though it's 16x10 aspect ratio again means it is narrower than my Sage.

As for colour backgrounds and coloured text making reading more comfortable? Can you point to any peer reviewed studies that support that claim? Or is this your equivalent to those statements about eInk being more comfortable to read on that you so happily dump on?

The studies I looked at a while back featured comments such as:

Quote:
Most of the research that examined the readability of text on a computer screen as a function of foreground-background color combinations was done prior to the world wide web. One of the most consistent findings is that the effects of colors on readability are not consistent (Radl 1980). For example, one study failed to find any significant difference among 24 different color combinations on performance with a text search task (Pace 1984). On the other hand, regardless of the specific color combination, higher levels of contrast appear to lead to better readability (Bruce and Foster 1982; Radl 1980).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote