View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 12:10 AM   #30
chrhup
chrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
With third party cookies on the way out as a means of tracking users many websites are requiring that a free account be created associated with a verified email address so that advertisers can track people across sites.

Advertisers have become wise to the sites offering temporary email addresses and may stop paying the websites hosting their ads for those impressions. That will eventually lead to those email addresses being disallowed for free accounts. It is going to become more difficult to remain anonymous.
This change had nothing to do with ad revenue. It was done because too many bots were hitting my site, at far too fast a rate, and it was causing things to run unacceptably slow. At times, the bots were so aggressive that they took down the entire site.

I noticed this happening more-and-more, so my best option was to prevent anonymous users from running filters, which can be very database intensive on my site.

I have never sold any email addresses from this site, and have no intentions of ever doing so.
chrhup is offline   Reply With Quote