View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 12:14 PM   #35
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
...I was making the argument for pseudo-selectors (the point of this thread). You said that they required 'ridiculously convoluted code'... I was just showing how simple and unconvoluted pseudo-selectors are.
I agree with Turtle91 on the subject of pseudo-selectors. I much prefer publishers to use :first-letter and :first-line with the appropriate mixed-case text than forcing ALLCAPS text with messy <span>/<small> tags. The worst that can happen is that you just see undecorated text with upper- and lower-case text in all the right places.

I particularly dislike contrived code like this:
Code:
<p class="first"><span class="big">W</span><small>E WENT TO A</small> L<small>ED</small> Z<small>EPPELIN CONCERT IN</small> 1972.</p>
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Pseudo-selectors don't work in enough cases.
Define "enough cases". They work on all PocketBooks and all Kobos (kepub). I'm not sure about Kindles but if they, at least, work in KFX format books then it sounds like quite a high percentage of current eink devices can support them.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote