Thread: TCL NxtPaper 11
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 12:20 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Why do you think that? Just curious as I am considering a 1TB microSD for about €95 myself.
Reliability:
Larger capacity uses smaller cells or more layers. The ideal varies with process maturity, however we really are getting near physical limits on geometry and Flash cell size, hence 3D (more layers), which reduces reliability. Best trade off of speed, price and reliability last time I looked at SSD was 512G Byte. That's two 256G storage chips on the PCIe NVMe PCB stick, so address interleaving gives about twice the speed as a one chip 256H PCIe. The full size SD cards can have two chips thus giving twice capacity of a micro SD card. No idea about speed.

Price:
The largest capacity anything is usually a bit more costly per GByte. Price of course varies with brand, but comparing micro SD cards of the same speed and brand, the 256G seems better value than larger sizes. It's also better value than the 32G Byte unless you buy a cheaper brand. I've a bunch of stuff that works with 32G SD HS max, so recently bought some Lexar. Usually I buy SanDisk.

Speed:
Tricky, as those reading the Kobo "I'm replacing my internal SD Card" posts know. Quoted speeds are always for video or similar large block transfers. The real life ordinary file i/o is rather different and via MTP can be weird. My ancient Sony-Ericsson Android 4.1x phone is about x5 faster with the new Lexar card than MTP with anything else I have. Make sure storage is set as "Portable" and don't let Android format. Dismount and use an SD card in a reader on PC if possible.

A larger than 32G micro SD card will be SDXC and should be exFat format. Don't reformat unless you are sure your OS and formatting utility properly understands SDXC and exFAT,

The larger than 4G is usually point that SDHS is used, so some really old stuff uses 4G max. Some things work with 2G max due to addressing, though SD cards use serial transfer. In theory a full size 4G SD card could use 2x 2G chips in parallel!

Anything that works with 128G or more ought to work with 1T, but there is no assurance of it.

Also quantity. Unless you are storing DVD rips a 1T is a lot. Is 256G (or 512G) really too small?

At some stage it will be economical for me to rip all my DVDs and BDs to my server the way I did decades ago with CDs. I still buy music on CDs and it's in the PC drive once and then archived in the nice dry attic.

Conclusion
I was tempted to get a 512G micro SD card for me, but I'm not tempted to get a 1T or 1.5T. I bought a 256G card for the 2nd TCL, though I did briefly consider a 512G upgrade and putting existing 256G from 3 or 4 week old TCL to new one. Though it's a 2.5 year old card.

My Lenovo Yoga Tab 10 passed on to family member without the SD card, so my TCL Nxtpaper 11 got the used 256G. The wife has my older Lenovo, nearly 5 years old replaced by the Yoga 2.5 years ago. It has a 128G card. I'll use it and its card in my workshop, so she's paying for a new 256G card. Though her laptop is SSD for OS and 512G HDD for user files on Linux Mint, even the the 128G card would take all her user files.
She's the main paper user (Duplex Colour Laser), but will consider trying to use the TCL Nxtpaper 11 instead.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-01-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote