View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 07:52 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then I guess my way of editing the eBooks is best as it doesn't create extra classes. For example, I used Diaps Editing Toolbag to change <p class="para" style="text-indent: 5%;"> to <p>. It was very simple to do. But it should never have had to be done.
And when the entire ebook has nothing but inline styles (that is the situation the inline converter is intended for) do you generate a new class for every style in the ebook? Personally, I use the appropriate tool for the task and don't try to use a single tool for every task. For your example, if that was the only inline style in the ebook, I would use search and replace.

As for never having to be done? If the original ebook works and looks decent, the number of people who will dig under the covers to criticize the contents is pretty small. I've noticed that you also criticize the big publisher's who have a default stylesheet for including classes that are not used in the current ebook. After all, it might add a few bytes to the file size.

One person I chat with works with ebooks for a living. Their default corporate stylesheet requires that all paragraphs have a class attached. That just makes it easier for someone else to take a look at the book and not have to dig into the stylesheet to see if a paragraph should be indented. So not the <p> you love but <p class="noindent"> and <p class="indent">. After all, the zip file compression reduces the increase in file size to negligible when using repeated strings.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote