View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 09:25 PM   #1
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Google Play Books - .acsm contains wrong book

I've been rereading Raymond Feist's Midkemia books, and I've found he's written a fair number since the last time I did this.

The last time I bought an ebook from Amazon I couldn't get the file downloaded. My old PC version of the Kindle app wouldn't register. So I bought them from Google Play.

Google Play lets me download a xxx_epub.acsm, which I can then open in Adobe Digital Editions,which then downloads the .epub.

And that worked fine, except that three of the dozen books I'd bought downloaded the wrong book.

My steps:
  1. I bought the three books of a trilogy on the website, Book A, Book B, and Book C.
  2. I go to the "My Library" page, find my books, and for each I select "Export ACSM".
  3. I find three files in my Downloads folder: Book1_epub.acsm, Book2_epub.acsm, and Book3_epub.acsm.
  4. I double-click Book1_epub.acsm. Adobe Digital Editions opens, displaying a "Fulfilling Book 1" message, then opens Book 1.
  5. At this point I can see Book1.epub in My Digital Editions folder, and if I go to the My Library page in the Digital Editions app I see Book 1.
  6. So I double-click Book2_epub.acsm. Digital editions displays "Fulfilling Book 2", then opens Book 2.
  7. I see Book2.epub in my Digital Editions folder, and in My Library in the Digital Editions app I see Book 2.
  8. I double-click on Book3_epub.acsm.
  9. Adobe Digital Editions displays "Fulfilling Book 2", and then opens Book 2.
  10. I see two copies of Book 2 in My Library in the Digital Editions app, and Book2(1).epub in my Digital Editions folder.
  11. If I open up the downloaded .acsm files, I see in the .xml of each a url that contains the title of the book and what looks like a UID.
  12. Each of the three .acsm files has the correct title, but Book2_epub.acsm and Book3_epub.acsm have the same UID.
Clearly someone messed up when they created these listings.

But who do I contact to get this fixed?

Google?

The author?

The publisher?

I'm out $20 or so for the three books I can't download, and now have three series I won't start, because I don't have the complete series. Which isn't that big a deal.

But the author may well be losing sales because of this, and not know it. And I'm sure that anyone who's complained to Google has gotten nowhere.
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote