View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 01:50 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes removing ids can in fact break external links into the epub (see the cfi spec used by most Readium based platforms and calibre as well). They can be used in toc's, pagelists, references for internal javascript, and of course references used for linking.
The IDs I remove do not link to anything except maybe the ToC and if they are at the top of the HTML, I can remove them from the HTML and the ToC. They do not link to anything external, no endnotes, no pagelists, no javascript, and no indexes. Nothing at all. So they don't need to be there.

Quote:
As a page is loaded, a hash table of ids to dom nodes is created faster than the io of the file on the disk can be done. Jumping to an id is basically instantaneous in epub readers unless the page itself is absolutely huge (entire book all in one file).

Please cite the exact speed test for loading a page you talked about. There would have to be an excessive number of ids and tons of images to load to make even a slight difference.
I read this a while ago. It was about the current Sony Reader (at the time) being slower to go to an ID then to go to the top of the HTML and it was correct. I've not tested on Kobo. But It was correct about the Sony Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote