View Single Post
Old 02-04-2024, 07:28 AM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do what makes less code bloat. And <h1 class="chapter"> for every chapter is code bloat when I just used <h1>.
It's not really bloat. It's readable and because of zip tokenisation it may only add less than 16 bytes even if there are 1000s of chapters (e.g. a Bible).

However I do agree that up to a point KISS is a good principle. But I've had to maintain arcane 70s style C using compact muliple statements on one line and also C++ written as if the programmer was more at home with Modula-2 or Ada. I know which I prefer editing.

A technical document might use the same style for every h1 (and any h level will use a suitable style).

A novel might have h1, h2 or h3 for all the chapter 'titles', but due to limited levels on TOC and TOC layout might use the same level h for other headings with a different style.

On a separate issue:
Some novels don't have any chapters at all in the body, though there may be named scene breaks with a paragraph in a different style (Dune) or simply a first paragraph style. In such a case the source could have either a handmade TOC or <hx> with no text but a title attribute because a TOC/Navigation system is more needed in an ebook than a paper book.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-04-2024 at 07:31 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote