View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 08:05 AM   #53
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Elephant in the room is really InDesign. It's really Corporate DTP for paper books, magazines etc later fudged by Adobe for ebooks, which is why it works a bit better for Fixed Layout (electronic but not really ebooks) epub.

Almost no Kindle users will be jailbroken, which is needed for KOReader. Test azw3 as a minimum on a Kindle.
It can’t really be the elephant in the room as long as it’s the title of its thread and the cleaning it implies With all its flaws, there is no better DTP program for print, and most typesetters are in my position--getting an epub out of a print publication. Even with all the redundant code it produces, I don’t expect to be that difficult to clean up in the future once I get better at this.

I know about Kindle, I was using KOReader as just another epub reader for testing, this book probably won’t even end up in the Kindle ecosystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need two IDs together. In your sample, you can drop the <a> and use the other ID in the index. Have a look and see where you have double IDs and drop one of them. Also, where the ToC is going to the top of the HTML file, if the ID is not needed for the index, you don't need that ID.
Got it, thank you. Like I said, there are just a few places with double IDs.

Quote:
The thing is, do the fonts used in the book work well on an eInk Reader? Do they have enough weight? If they don't, then they won't work. I've seen plenty of eBooks using the same fonts as the pBook and they do not work as they are too light. Besides, On some Readers, such as a Kinde, these fonts probably won't be seen. On some you are forcing the user to use fonts that are not good.
Both my publisher and I think they do work.

Quote:
Tell that to whoever is in charge. Show him/her how well that fonts do not work..
But you seem to be certain, without even knowing what they are, that they don’t On top of being a typesetter, I read a lot of ebooks and I already have an opinion of what does and what doesn’t work on en eink screen.
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote