View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 02:31 AM   #49
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Onto the HTML. Your ID's do nothing so you don't need them. You also don't need an <a> that does nothing but holds an id that does nothing. If in your ToC, you have these ID's, then get rid of them. If your ToC entries are going to the top of each HTML file then forget IDs. They will slow things down as the Reader has to load the HTML and then go find the ID instead of just loading the HTML and starting from the top. Also, that's code bloat when you have code that does nothing.
Thank you for the pointers!

No, it is just in this case (main chapter titles, just a couple of them) where the TOC points to the top of the page, otherwise there are dozens of section titles which need the ID's for the TOC to work. I also need the text anchor IDs for the index references, which point to the physical version, so there have to be text anchors spread out for it to work.

Quote:
I changed the second line in the chapter header to be a <p> because then it won't be used if you use calibre or Sigil to generate a ToC from your headers. The title= I put in will be the ToC entry if you do generate a ToC from calibre or Sigil.
Like I said, I already have a perfectly working ToC from InDesign and that’s my workflow going forward, I’m not generating it from the headers.

Quote:
The thing is, once you export your book from InDesign as an ePub, you will need to hand edit the code.
It's the title of this thread, it's what I came here for

Quote:
Do you need an embedded font for the chapter titles? If you do, change the font family names to the names of the font(s) being used. But you don't need two different fonts for the chapter title. That's ugly.
Yes, it's the publisher’s request that on the devices that support publisher styles/font it should appear the same as the physical version, hence the fonts and the styling. It works very well on KBReader, Lithium, latest KOReader on my Kindle PW3, drop caps included on some of them. Whether that's beautiful or ugly is irrelevant for this thread.
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote