View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #35
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post

<hr/> is the recommended method. I can only blame the programmers for showing both a line and the dinkus (didn't know it was called that!! ). Either the device/app programmers for not making their device function properly, or the book coder for not putting the proper css on their stylesheet.

Here is the method I use and I haven't seen it display both on my readers.
Thank you, you’re very kind to include the sample and the explanation, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Didn’t know it was possible to do that with <hr>, I guess I'm still stuck in the early 90s when it comes to HTML

I changed the p classes tags to <p>,<h1>-<h3>, it’s much cleaner now There is one thing I was wondering about - new chapter pages, which are styled like this:
Chapter Title

Chapter Title

Saying I want to keep the number and the dot, which are styled differently (in terms of size, margins and font type) than the Chapter Title, how should that be tagged semantically? Should it also be an <h1 class="chapter-number"> with different properties? Before that, I thought about making it <h4>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope you didnt make the footnotes some dinky little 1 tiny character to have to try to find where to press on the screen. That is really bad form.

Do not forget to have an NCX ToC.
Don’t worry, on the contrary, they’re rather large I may be new to making ebooks, but for the past 15 years or so, 90% of the books I’ve read, both fiction and non-fiction, were ebooks, so I've bumped into various issues, small footnote references being one of them. [#] would be my preferred way as well, but the publisher has the final say so that’s that.

I don’t see how one could forget about the toc.ncx, but I guess it’s happened since you mention it

I’m in Eastern Europe and this books are mainly produced for the local market -- online ebooks stores, Scribd-like "ebook streaming" services with rather primitive ereader apps; they may end up on Google Play Books or even Amazon, but that’s not their main destination. In any case, I will try to tackle accessibility, but I'll just run them through DAISY Consortium’s Ace and fix each issue as it comes up, hopefully I’ll learn something new in the process. I was under a deadline to produce these epubs, and the publisher has seen them, but they’re not to be actually published yet, so I still have some time to tinker with them.

Thank you!
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote