View Single Post
Old 01-11-2024, 09:09 AM   #52
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I was gifted a The Selected Letters of Virginia Woolf over the holidays by a like-minded reader. A non-reader person that I serve as a professional mentor for asked me about it because I was reading it when she arrived at our coffee meeting yesterday.

This got me to thinking about the particular joy I had a few years ago when I discovered the "genre" of reading the letters of great writers and others. It started when I stumbled on The Selected Letters of Willa Cather, who is one of my favorite American authors, at my local indie. I picked it up on a whim and spent the better part of 2 months reading it. I absolutely fell in love with the form. Since then, I've read books of letters from Mary Wollstonecraft, Truman Capote, and Rilke. I have on my shelves waiting for me the letters of Virginia Woolf, Hannah Arendt, and a book called The Love That Dares: Letters of LGBTQ+ Love & Friendship Through History.

What new genres have you discovered later on in your reading life?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote