View Single Post
Old 12-21-2023, 11:07 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Cloud backup make sense to to avoid losing your stuff. But I guess it's here more meant to be "additional services" for which they can charge you a fee.
Yes, "Cloud" means services on someone else's server that you pay for forever. The return of 1960s computer services, but with a prettier interface, access via insecure internet instead of secure dedicated line (though faster) and more opaque contracts.

Cloud is not at all a good backup solution:
1) Too slow (though incremental for an ereader would work).
2) No assurance of privacy
3) Opaque security
4) How do they backup (many don't!)?
5) Needs internet.

Having everything also on laptop/desktop/tablet etc and backing that up to a USB drive (or two), even leaving a copy at someone else's house.

I have my own near unlimited hosting and I don't use it for backups. I make backups of that!

P.S. the new Avatar looks like someone smart
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote