View Single Post
Old 11-19-2023, 01:35 PM   #12
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I can't take the Goodreads Choice awards seriously or care about the outcomes. Even more so than most popularity contests of its stripe. I remember one year when one of the biography choices in the final round was a book from the year before, as I knew because I'd read it the year before! I reported it but the poll was almost over before they finally removed it.

My guess is that poetry was removed because not enough interest and the kidlit topics removed because of agendas.
Poetry got 177,181 votes total in 2022. So it got more votes than Best History & Biography (174,380 votes total), which they kept. There are also a lot of popular poets, like Amanda Lovelace and Rupi Kaur, who might not be loved by critics but who are very popular with regular people.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a combination of bean-counting and worries about book bans at work. It probably costs Amazon more to keep categories. (Cry me a long river.) But we would take the awards more seriously if there were more categories. They really should not delete all kidlit plus graphic novels and take away other options and then brag about being "the only major book awards decided by readers."
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote