View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #20
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No - there are different versions, which have to be adapted to the existing hardware
Allwinner provides the Linux kernel for their SOC, that kernel is used amongst others for android. That kernel can be downloaded on git.

Quote:
The result is the crap that the developer envisioned as good handling, but which in my experience never really fits
I have no complaints for their UI and tools, they are pretty much intuitive and work. Can they be improved? Sure, but so can anything else.

Quote:
loss of freedom & privacy?
On Android you can choose the application you want and are happy with.
For me, that is freedom - not the compulsion of a single application that can hardly be adjusted to one's own needs.
You can do that on Pocketbook today, you can install eg koreader and set that as default for any or all formats. There are quite a few projects on git for pocketbooks and all of those are made possible precisely because of the linux underpinnings of the device's operating system and as I said, having android in itself is no guarantee you'll get an Open system, you would need a store and google imposes restrictions and rules on which devices they allow to come bundled with it. There ARE alternative stores, but they all have their trade-offs.

As for standards for e-ink devices in Android... this might provide some more background.

Last edited by Amon_Re; 05-09-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote