View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 05:27 PM   #12
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Mainly I felt like the article writer came off as a dickhead coastal elite, snickering at Utahan Asian food and the like.

But I don't disagree with the points in the article. Sanderson is not a good writer (writer, as opposed to storyteller). The only Sanderson book I've yet read is Elantris and my opinions of it pretty much match what the article states. Elantris was original, I've not read another fantasy like it. And the characters were stronger than I expected. But in the end... I dunno. I didn't like it much and won't go out of my way to pick up more of his work.

I remember reading an article somewhere (I think the article was about Terry Goodkind) about these 'junk fantasy' authors. Authors who pop-up out of nowhere and can churn out long fantasy tomes. Sanderson fits in there for sure.
Following the posts about the article, there has been a lot of discussion about literary authors versus authors with "invisible prose." Some of the debate has been fascinating, and some of it has consisted of "nyah nyah I'm better than you because I read Mervyn Peake."

I decided to wander off and read on a pile of mammoth skins in my Neanderthal cave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As for the hot takes on the article itself, I didn't bother to wade in. In the end, it doesn't really matter. However mean the article it was, like Liberace before him Sanderson can cry all the way to the bank.
Those are two names I never though I'd see in the same sentence.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote