View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 02:15 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I get that and don't disagree. Believe you me, I read plenty of schlock that was put out as quickly as possible.

But with Sanderson's writing, there was something else amiss. Maybe it was actively bad writing? I don't know for sure. The book I'm currently reading (The Green Man's Heir by Juliet E. McKenna) suffers the same problem (though the characterization isn't as good as what Sanderson did). Good story and an interesting world. But it is taking me much longer to read than it should. There is... some indefinable something missing.
I fell asleep trying to read my one and only McKenna book. Her characters didn't rouse basically any emotions in me. Just not my cuppa. I've never tried anything else by her.

I was able to enjoy Sanderson, but I've never been hugely enthusiastic about his work. His worlds and plots are interesting, his characters and writing less so, but still enough for me to keep reading. Still, there is no book or author out there who everyone likes, and that's as it should be. Our tastes are different.

(My dirty secret is that I couldn't get into the Harry Potter books. I was just bored to tears reading about those kids and their adventures, though I admit the general idea was pretty cool. The movies were more interesting, but I still DNFed after a few of them. There's no pleasing everyone).

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-25-2023 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote