View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 10:33 PM   #13
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I DNF'd a very popular science fiction title because of the very graphic description of a sexual assault in the first 30 pages. I am not squeamish - my job is to represent domestic violence victims - but it was not handled well AT ALL. It felt performative and gratuitous and did not serve a great point in the story, even if that character was going to become someone awesome later. If you have to do something that brutal to a female character just to give her a redemptive arc, you aren't a very good storyteller.
Which book was that - so I know to avoid it! I'm absolutely sick of gratuitous SA in books/films, I hate it (and yes I know it can be realistic but I don't need to be reminded of that).

In a similar vein, I never finished Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. Felt very uncomfortable and decided to just give up

Another one I gave up on was the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. He's absolutely revered in some parts of the internet so I thought I would give it a go, but ended up hating it. Boring characters, juvenile writing, stupid plot.
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote