View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 06:31 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Page count? Unless the algorithm for determining the page size is consistent, the numbers can vary all over the place. I had one book where the page count varied from 360 to 490 depending on which vendor I looked at. I also have books where the word count was different by over 20% but the page count was the same. Then we have those ebooks where base-64 encoded images were used which breaks most page count algorithms.

Part of the differences seemed to be due to some vendors quoting the page count for a pbook version while others used their own pet method of calculating the page count for an ebook regardless of whether a pbook version was available. Unless all pbooks start using the same font, font size, line spacing, margins, etc., even that information is not all that useful.
This is why I like the ADE page count method. It's consistent and I understand it well enough to judge how long an eBook is. In most cases it works well.

Shops online show some meaningless page number no matter where it came from. They would be better with a word count.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote