View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 05:46 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I always wrote that colour epaper needed a different technology to R G B filters on a mono eink screen, which is inherently poor due to intrinsic physics and maths. I suggested a four layer C Y M K (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta. K= Black, but can mean white with black/grey) was the solution. Early colour photography used R G B dots but was only viable years later using C Y M layers.

It will be interesting to see how it really works as each layer has to be transparent or coloured or somewhere between. Traditional eink isn't transparent.

It's pretty slow so won't do video/tv/animation.

It will be interesting to see how bright the whites are in ambient light compared to regular eink, contrast ratio, how many levels of grey and saturation and gamut.
In theory the lighting layer can be below the three C Y M layers and above the "white".

An issue is viewing angle. This is limited by the thickness of each layer vs size of the pixels.

Also I think there isn't a huge point to much less than a 10" screen if you look at size of colour illustrated books, magazines, graphic novels and comic. Most of my 3000+ books are monochrome and most just text. Most of the coloured books I have are quite large; larger than 10" diagonal

The price and battery life will be important. Are the C Y M cells bistable like regular eink?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote