View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 01:57 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Amen! When you read a book written in English, you should read it in the original English. And if that means you need to look up a term that is unfamiliar, that's just a learning opportunity. I'd say the same applies to non-English language books, except that isn't really realistic for those of us who are monoglots. (I know, I live in a country where there are two _official_ languages, and an untold number of other native languages, and I only speak one of them. Pathetic, but I appear to be too old to learn a new language. And yes, I've tried.)

FWIW, even Canadian is quite a bit different from American English, and I don't just mean the accent. We have garburators in our kitchens and chesterfields in our living rooms.
Eh! (I once made a custom BIOS for our Canadian office development system. Replaced 'What?" with "Eh? " . Took them MONTHS to notice )

I have no problem with adding end notes or a glossary for the education of non-native dialect speakers.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote