View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #44
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
A 4:3 5” device with even 1024x768 would appeal to me more.

I’m skeptical that a reading app such as Kindle or Kobo would run without issues on this. The color themes are not designed with monochrome displays in mind, and depending on Android version, it might need to be an older version.

The low end Kindle is perfectly fine. Text seems a bit clearer to me than Paperwhite 4, ironically. It’s a bit lighter and smaller, and more comfortable to hold. And it now has 8GB for the same price as before. No Dark Mode, otherwise CPU speed and RAM is the same as the others, it is of the latest and greatest Kindle generation (10th). I suppose the sneering is that it’s only 800x600 (167 PPI), but it has its place.
Complexity of some Chinese characters really benefit from higher PPIs. If you're familiar with the characters its still readable but it IS nice to easily see every stroke at standard book font sizes.

Android is fine with eInk reading. My Oynx stuff works great. Scrolling/page turn animations is a bigger issue than color palette but Oynx at least has modes to deal with it and most apps let you turn off page turn animations. The only thing I miss from a dedicated Kindle is the better Japanese dictionary support. Otherwise Android has so many benefits with the ability to use multiple stores/apps with ease, more file formats, better web browser that it totally makes up for the handful of little issues like scrolling to pick a book in the Kindle app being a bit janky.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the latest Kobo/Kindle apps still only require Android 6. So for the time being this should be good.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote