View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #39
BookHoarder
BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Inkpad 3 (Mostly Biased Review)

I just received mine. It took two weeks from Ebay coming from Germany, but was worth it. It's like reading from a hard cover book. I've been reading off the 6in screen for years, and didn't realize what I had given up until I started reading off this reader. Sure, I've tried reading on 8in tablets, but I can't tolerate reading books off from LCD screens.

So here's the good. The large screen and smartlight with that temperature setting is really nice. Also I have an extensive epub library I manage through calibre, and loading the device with the entirety of it did not slow the Inkpad down much at all. There is no complicated tweak or setting to get the Inkpad to recognize series tags as collections. Just running the startup wizard in Calibre, and having the selection set to Pocketbook readers was all it needed.

And here's the unneeded. I don't play much with PDFs so I couldn't say how the reader handles them. To me PDF is strictly large tablet territory. My music is on my phone, and I don't listen to audio books so I don't really need the player. Not gonna use the device to browse the internet or play the little add on games.

The bad. I can't really say there's anything bad about this reader. Inkpad's not waterproof like the KOBO or Kindle now, but then again Pocketbook is not really competing against those two here in the states. I guess if there was anything to be said about the reader negatively it would be the buttons. On the touchlux models they are big and shaped to fit your thumb on. Inkpad 3 narrowed out the buttons out so when you're reading it's harder to keep your thumb on the page turn button you need for the next page. Also would recommend keeping the auto rotate feature off. Also with no built in store for the reader you'll be needing to get your books from amazon, needing to know something about apprentice alf, and needing to be comfortable with the process of file conversion, calibre, and DRM. Oh, and no waterproofing to this model.

Still I say it was worth it. It meets everything I've wanted from an Ereader. Collection management through calibre, a large tablet sized screen, SD card slot, glowscreen or smartlight, and current cover of book your reading when you power it off. Some would say that should come when you put the device to sleep, but it really only takes about 10 seconds to go from completely powered off to ready to read.

Kobo, you say? No. It has all that wasted space inside the screen that you need to use a patch to get rid of; no matter the model. But what about Kindle? Roots and hacks and whatnot just to get a custom screen saver. This setting has been on almost every other model of ereader for year. There is no reason paperwhites and oasis's should not have it other than Amazon trying to ransom your screen for money.

If only pocketbook would come to the states. I think they could strongly compete against the others here.
BookHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote