View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #59
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
There are plenty of other phone brands with a lot better update policy. I bought an Moto G4 as a succesor to my Nexus 5, but unfortunatly that update policy went out the window since they were taken over by Lenovo. If I was in the market now, I would look to Wiley or some OnePlus. It is such a shame Google stopped with the Nexus line. It was a good bang for buck.
Everything has tanked. Motorola is useless with regard to certainty of updates since Lenovo took them over. The Thinkpads have tanked in quality after Lenovo's contract to uphold the Thinkpad name has expired; support is crap as well, I've been reading.

Since Dell went private, they basically told me "GFY" when I called them for support. "The keyboards on our €2500 portable workstations don't break. You either broke it because of misuse, or yo u've been using it too much." I could have a new keyboard sent to me for some 50-ish euro's and €73 shipment cost. I had one sent from the US for something like €25 or so (including shipment) through eBay.

When I'm going to look for a new phone, I'm going to take a look at LineageOS's lists, and then probably pick a high-end model that's on there already, even if it's the one from last year. That won't be a problem, because I'm now using a 5 year old phone that still easily does what I need of it. Then I'll back up the official software, then nuke all of it, and flash LineageOS and OpenGApps Nano. That procedure also gets rid of all the bloatware.

With regard to laptops: I'm not going to even bother. My main computer is a desktop again, and I'll get the cheapest laptop I can find for occasional use. Only things necessary are 16GB RAM, SSD, IPS screen, and an i5 or i7 CPU. Then I'll nuke the Windows install off it and install a fresh copy. I'll see how long it'll last. I'm not ever again going to spend €2500 on a workstation again and try to use it as my main rig. Ever.

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-22-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote