View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 02:29 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post

An other workaround is to use more than one user defined dictionary. That's what I do if I had more than one language involved. To generate a specific additional language dictionary I change the main language definition from e.g. English (main, 1st) to Spanish (additional, 2nd) and copy all accurate words in an additional user dictionary via clipboard. If not already done, create in the editor a new user dictionary and paste your word listing via import dialog into the new user dictionary. Don't forget to assign as import language your main language (English) for your non english words.
@DivingDuck - but that would seem to assume the following:

When the book is marked Spanish and checked against a Spanish Dictionary that all correctly spelt words are Spanish.

But there might be a misspelt English word amongst them. Or the word might be used in both Spanish and English - e.g. traduce, which has quite different meanings in English and Spanish, even though they share a common Latin root.

Does the spell checker make use of the User Dictionaries in compiling its suggestions list, I have a vague memory it doesn't.

But surely, the raison d'être for tagging the actual text with the correct language code, is so that the reader can use the dictionary lookup feature on their device to get the 'meaning of the word' -- the spell checker is a merely a means to that end.

When I'm reading a bi-lingual text, as I was this morning (Dutch/English - hard going), I go in and out of dictionaries all the time - if all the text was marked up as English I'd be more than a little annoyed.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-25-2016 at 02:31 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote