View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 02:51 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnigeek View Post
Mine "broke" according to the Kobo team just as with the OP. Unlike the OP, I didn't have mine at the beach or in the hot sun. It was kept in a sleep cover, not dropped, even on my face while falling asleep as some others have apparently done. I had read in the morning and at lunch and later in the afternoon picked it up only to find the screen looked shattered (but without a mark on the screen or cover).

I have nothing to lose by trying this replacement screen so thanks for the link. As far as the Kobo Corporation goes ... I'm certainly not buying any books from them after this and I will probably dissuade friends and family from buying their hardware.
Not "broke" -- broke. (Assuming your description of the screen is accurate.)

When you change the screen out, you will be able to see that it is physically shattered by looking at the rear of the screen. There is a layer on the front of the display which means there will not be palpable cracks at the front even with a thoroughly shattered substrate.

Virtually all current eink screens have that same very thin glass substrate. Kobo's not the only one. They are particularly susceptible to bending/twisting forces, for example by inadvertently leaning on the device.

I'm really not a fan of the "magical spontaneous shattering" hypothesis. However, it is perhaps possible that earlier screen damage may show up later under the influence of much smaller forces, as the cracks extend and the entire screen falls apart.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote