View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #64
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Removing OpenDyslexic font

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis41 View Post
Hi,

Is there a way to uninstall/delete some default fonts on Kobo Glo? I hate to see OpenDyslexic and Gothic on my device list. Just a matter of personal choice. I have learned that all the default fonts can be disabled through Metazoa patches, but I'd like to keep some of them on device.
The current patches can only remove two groups of fonts from the font selection menus, and it has to be the whole group, you can't select individual fonts. The fonts remain available for use by the UI and books (e.g. if the book specifies 'sans-serif' then Avenir will still be used, you just won't see it as an option on the seletion menus):

Group 1: Amasis, Avenir, Caecilia, Georgia, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel, Malabar, Delima, Felbridge, Rockwell, Times New Roman.

Geoup 2: Gothic, Ryumin, OpenDyslexic, and everything else including sideloaded fonts.

However it is possible to remove individual fonts from the device entirely by replacing them with empty files. I've attached a file removeOpenDyslexic.zip, if you unzip this into the .kobo directory on the device and safely eject, the device will update and restart and the OpenDyslexic font will be gone.

I have tested this on my Glo and it works okay. But when the firmware updates to the next version it will re-install OpenDyslexic, and so you'll have to do this again after each firmware update.

Although this method should work for other fonts too, I would not risk removing Georgia, Avenir, Ryumin, or Gothic as these fonts have special uses in the firmware and I don't know what would happen if they were removed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip removeOpenDyslexic.zip (417 Bytes, 814 views)
File Type: zip RemoveKoboNickelAndOpenDyslexic.zip (493 Bytes, 745 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-22-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added attachment to remove both KoboNickel and OpenDyslexic
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote