View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #22
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did change the names. One set is Charis SIL Modified and the other is Charis SIL Compact. Yes, I am allowed to do what I am doing and legally so.
Unfortunately, you interpretation is not quite in line with the License FAQ. I'm not saying this to be nitpicking. I think this is *great* work for e-readers, and would love to see this package widely distributed. If someone wanted to do it 'right,' there are a few licensing loose ends that need to be tidied up.

I'm am basing this from the OFL FAQ, found here:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL

Not legal advice, and I'm not a lawyer.

Quote:
Users who install derivatives (Modified Versions) on their systems should not see any of the original Reserved Font Names in their font menus, for example. Again, this is to ensure that users are not confused and do not mistake one font for another and so expect features only another derivative or the Original Version can actually offer.

5.4 Am I not allowed to use any part of the Reserved Font Names?
You may not use individual words from the Reserved Font Names, but you would be allowed to use parts of words, as long as you do not use any word from the Reserved Font Names entirely. We do not recommend using parts of words because of potential confusion, but it is allowed. For example, if "Foobar" was a Reserved Font Name, you would be allowed to use "Foo" or "bar", although we would not recommend it.
So, if I'm reading that correctly, this font should be renamed entirely, (and a copy of the OFL license included with the distribution
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote