View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 02:09 AM   #70
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersW View Post
A sample of 880 stories produced 57 stories that had that error, about 1 in 15. Dropping that list of 57 into the downloader resulted in 8 stories with that error, about 1 in 7.
A slightly updated quote from one of my own earlier posts on the old thread:
Quote:
First, I do not recommend using FanFicFare the way you are. Checking for updates on hundreds of stories at once causes excessive traffic on the source site. fanfiction.net in particular has been known to block people's IP address if they generate too much traffic.

Instead, I highly recommend that you 'follow' stories and use the sites' email notifications to inform you about updates and then update those specific stories. I also recommend using Update EPUB, not Overwrite, unless you have reason to believe that a particular story has changes in previous chapters.

I must repeat, doing mass updates like this is not recommended.
(I acknowledge that I should make an FAQ for this.)

I consider 15 stories to be about the upper limit of how many a user should update at once with any regularity. 57 is really pushing what I think is reasonable for once-in-a-while updates. 880 at once: if it was my website, I'd likely be blocking you.

I'm not going to download 57 stories to test this. I think it's most likely you are bumping into--or causing--transient errors on the server side. Plus, I still don't think there's anything else I could do about it.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote