View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Indexing and thumbnails on Kindle Touch

Some questions about kindke touch:

1. Book indexing on kindle touch

I'm using a Kindle Touch with 5.1.0 firmware. There's plenty of memory still available (>3.2Gb). I noticed that there were 8 books waiting to be indexed. After many hours they were still there. I removed all of them, added them back each at once, waiting for each to be indexed. All went well (read: everything indexed) till the last book. After that, my Kindle told me that 124 books had to be indexed. Can anybody explain me why? More precisely:
  • How does indexing work on kindle touch?
  • Is it possible to know which book is being indexed at a given time? How?
  • Is it possible to know which percentage of a book has been indexed till now? How?
  • Is it possible to force the indexing of a single book? How?
  • Is it possible to enable/disable indexing? How?
  • As far as I can see, indexes are saved to /mnt/us/system/Search Indexes. There's a single huge index.db file (maybe for the top level searching) and indexes relative to each book. The file names are 33 character strings. They look like MD5s but they all start with "y". Any clue how they are calculated?
  • I usually find how many books have to be indexed by searching something. Is there a more direct way?

Maybe even with a partial knowledge of these points it could be possible to write an "indexing status" extension...

2. Book thumbnails on kindle touch

I've converted many ePubs into mobi with Calibre. A few of them - most noticeably some of the latest ones - don't get thumbnailed. The ePub validation seems OK and I didn't notice anything unusual on those titles...

Why some covers don't get thumbnailed?
Do they have to be a specific size or format?

I tried converting one the "offending" ePubs to mobi with latest Kindlegen (which packs mobi8+mobi6 in the same double sized file as far has I understand) instead of Calibre and it got thumbnailed. Could that be a calibre problem?

Last edited by pirl8; 05-08-2012 at 07:32 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote