Thread: Request 3g/4g USB devices
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
kveroneau
Edge User

Android does use a standard Linux kernel, and on my Linux laptop, 3G modems do work perfectly fine. All that needs to be done, is to add this module to the Linux kernel source tree for android and re-compile. Then when the device is plugged in, the kernel will take over the device. The only thing enTourage would need to do, is develop an app which would connect to an APN and enter a PIN if needed. This is done by most 3G modems by using ATDT commands, which are very simple. Then the connection app, which would use the Android included pppd daemon.

When I first bought the device I was thinking of re-compiling the kernel to add such support, but in the end I do not want to brick a $500 unit by replacing the kernel with one I made and one which may not work correctly. Hopefully enTourage works on this soon, as it is a vital feature for any portable device.

On my device, I now see a settings menu called "Mobile broadband", which I can set-up APNs. This is a sign that they are indeed working on it and showing us what is to come in a later update.