Thread: Classic Nook in Canada - It works
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #34
bluegazoo
bluegazoo began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've been shopping for an eReader for about 3 or 4 weeks now and still don't have all the answers... and still don't have an eReader...

Here's what know.
1. The Kindle uses proprietary formats that cannot be shared or copied between devices. This is the #1 reason i have taken the Kindle off my list.

2. The Nook is more open-format. You can read any PDF or Word file created by anybody; plus a bunch of other formats.

3. Kindle (Amazon) has the cheapest books; then the Kobo; then Barnes and Noble. I checked 10 books from all 3 vendors. Example: Amazon: $8.49, Kobo: $10.13; Nook (Barns and Noble) $12.99.

4. The Nook has upgradable memory, excellent color screen, can access the internet and use aps from Android (Google). But i heard the apps have been disabled (not sure about t his).

5. When i try to buy the Nook (from Canada) B&N web site says "can't deliver to that address".

Here's what I don't know:
6. Do any of these eBook stores not sell certain eBooks outside the US too? If so... Why?

7. Why are eBooks just as expensive (or more expensive) than paper books? This is bull&#$t. With all the waste of material, packaging, transportation, stocking, and disposal that is eliminated, you'd think these companies would share the savings a bit... they are saving billions and pocketing those billions. Can you say "Music Industry"?

8. When will they finally combine the function of the smart phone, the diverse use of the Tablet, and the size of the eReaders so we can all walk around with Star Trek Tri-Corders!?? And why is it taking these dinosaurs soooo long to get it right??? Star Trek has been out since the 1960's !

And oh yeah... they would have to add a little 'notch' in this device that holds the bluetooth ear piece so i don't have to buy a new one every 2 months!

(My money is on RIM to develop this first... they seem to be a company that focuses on quality product - and apparently are one of the few...)
bluegazoo is offline   Reply With Quote